With the acceleration of the Internet and the information society, it has been possible to transform the way we communicate with others and this has made it according to current applicable standards, as well as global trends, and of course the criteria of Local Authorities, there is adaptation on the websites so that the information provided in each one, there is fair, transparent and reliable information for users.
That is why in addition to the legal issue of which it is extremely important, websites must adapt to avoid:
- Loss of confidence
- Loss of reputation
- Economic losses
- Loss of competitiveness
Due to the emergence in 2018 of the European General Data Protection Regulation, it has implied, as a cascade effect, that everyone devotes special time to modifying the content of their web pages. That is why El Salvador must be ready, however this regulation is mandatory in Europe.
Recall that much of the information and / or content even if it is handled from the most remote place in the world, at some point we will meet the fact of worldwide demands on the Internet, regardless of where the data is processed.
Hence, the requirement of data protection is important since these rights must be respected and their exercise allowed through channels expressly enabled for it.
The rights that you should know and learn to manage if you have an affiliate website are the following:
1) Right to information
2) Right to access
3) Right to rectification
4) Right to object
5) Right to suppress
6) Right to be forgotten
7) Right to data portability
8) Right to limitation of processing.
However, the correct way to handle content on a page would be by enabling a form that allows your users to directly exercise each of these rights, if this is not possible, simply inform them correctly and enable a medium. so they can request it. Of course, you must have a very successful procedure to respond in a timely manner.
Other texts that every web page should have are:
- The legal notice
- Cookies Policy
- Pop Up cookie warning and mechanisms to reject or accept them
- The General and Particular Conditions of Contract (if you sell online)
- Informative clauses at the bottom of each form
- Obtain a valid consent from the user to process their data according to the purpose of the form (specific check box)
- Validate user addresses and prove your will
- Inform the user about your privacy conditions and obtain their compliance.
OTHER PRIORITY NEEDS:
You must ensure that each form has a box that allows you to obtain consent, either during the process or at the end of it.
If you are going to handle personal data of users for email marketing campaigns, you must require the explicit consent of the user of your terms and conditions.
All mandatory legal texts must always be visible and accessible.
- The aforementioned recommendations are based on requirements that the Ombudsman’s Office of El Salvador verifies, when conducting an inspection of website content, hence all legal texts must respond to specific characteristics and be understandable to any user.
- As long as the wording of the policies are closer and personal, they will be better.
- Do not copy policies that may not have to do with your operational website, since each website is unique and needs custom legal texts.
- Identify what type of information you need to place on your website and the capture systems you use.
- Data protection is not only limited to text, it includes other content such as images, sound, photos etc.
- Avoid possible penalties to which you may be exposed, and do not forget to provide security and confidence to your users.